Thursday, 24 March 2011

** 10th day chaste **

For this particular post, I feel like I do not really have a great deal to say. I am coping well with being locked up in chastity and was very pleased to receive some good feedback from Master regarding the last post. When my whole day sometimes feels like it reveals around hearing from Master and wondering what he thinks of my last piece of communication, detailed feedback and comments are superb!

Over this last week that I have been in London, I have very much missed my 10pm chats to Master in the evening. As I have often commented in this blog, my whole day has come to revolve around certain timetables, and I often rush to have everything done so that I am free and in a relaxed position to speak with Master and focus solely on his conversation. This week I have not been able to do that, but I have been able to regularly check in with Master through both this blog and also through txt messaging.

In today's post I thought I would discuss something which I am often conscious and aware of, but which I think I am particularly bad at: the use of grammar in BDSM relationships, particularly the correct use of pronouns. I am well aware from other blogs and just generally that the usual practice amongst serious Master-slave relationship participants is to use certain pronouns to refer to the Master and the slave, in particular the capital M for Master and the small s for slave (which I already) do; but also generally referring to any pronoun or noun involving the Master with a capital letter and the slave in lowercase.

The last thing is what I have trouble with. Technically, to be "Master-slave language correct", when I refer to my self, instead of using "I" in the traditional way, I should have a lowercase "i". If I was referring to Master and I, I should really say "W/we" rather than "we".

Although I understand the rationale and meaning behind using the slave's pronouns in lowercase, I do not really like it. My reason has nothing to do with BDSM, but rather because it is not linguistically or grammatically correct. Typing a small "i" looks to me like a spelling mistake! I briefly flirted with the idea of using the German word "ich" or the French word "je" to refer to me; but I thought that sounded seriously absurd and academically elitist (not a great quality in slave). So I have reconciled myself to using the word "I" with a capital so that it looks correct. To date Master has not commented on this, but I though I should make it clear that I know the correct pronoun to use for myself would be an "i".

In relation to Master however, I have noticed that Master does use the capital letter, particularly on possessive words. The main example I can think of it is when Master says "My slave", "My boy" or "My ...". Given my Master (a lowercase "my" for me) has, through his intentions, indicated a clear practice of how language should be used, I am attempting to follow it. After all, if Master makes something clear or makes a particular statement as to how something should be done, it is my obligation to follow, not to question.

Therefore, I am attempting, when appropriate to follow Master's habit and capitalise pronoun's referring to Master, for example: "Your slave"; "Master's boy". I think from this point forward I should make a more comprehensive to use capital letters for third-person singular personal pronouns; for example:

- Master's slave is also His slave;
- Master's chair is His slave;
- the Master made it clear that He would be home for His dinner at 6.30pm.

Of course, using personal pronouns in this way involves overcoming, or at very least setting aside, the habits of more than 12 years of primary and secondary English education!

Today's blog has been a little bit technical; but I think it shows that Master-slave relationships are not always about fun, sex and ritual. Rather, for a true BDSM Master-slave relationship, getting the semantics and the technical detail right is just as important. It is also important to know and understand appropriate time, context and place.

Although I mainly write purely for Master's enjoyment; where I write for an audience where I would be seen as specifically Master's slave. For example, for some reason I was at an event with Master where I was acknowledged as Master's slave, I would ensure I followed the correct grammar for the Master-slave relationship:

- capital letters for Master and the relevant personal pronouns;
- lowercase letters for myself; and
- most likely than not, I would sign my name as "457" or, if that wasn't appropriate, spell my name entirely in lowercase.

I would be doing this because I would be keen to demonstrate to the world, in particular the BDSM community, that I understand my obligations as a slave seriously and to not embarrass my Master by appearing to not follow proper conventions.

I aim to always be an obedient and respectful slave in all that I do and say. I think my Master would expect nothing less from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment